A language that allows you to talk and command a computer.
There is only space for two languages at most in the world: the compiled one, and the interpreted one.
Those two are languages not by any means perfect from a language design point of view, and there are likely already better alternatives, they are only chosen due to a pragmatic tradeoff between ecosystem and familiarity.
C++ however is decent, and is evolving in very good directions in the 2010's, and will remain relevant in the foreseeable future.
Bash can also be used when you're lazy. But if the project goes on, you will sooner or later regret that choice.
The language syntax in itself does not matter. All that matters is how many useful libraries and tooling it has.
This is how other languages compare:
- C: but cannot make a large codebase DRY without insanity
- Ruby: the exact same as Python, and only strong in one domain: web, while Python rules everything else, and is not bad on web either. So just kill Ruby, please.
undefinedrather than blowing up is bullshit
- java: good language, but has an ugly enterprisey ecosystem, Oracle has made / kept the development process too closed, and API patenting madness on Android just kills if off completely
- Haskell: many have tried to learn some functional stuff, but too hard. Sounds really cool though.
- Rust: sounds cool, you will gladly replace C and C++ with it if the ecosystem ramps up.
- Go: likely a good replacement for Python. If the ecosystem gets there, you will gladly use it more.
- C#: Microsoft is evil
- Tcl, Perl: Python killed them way back and is less insane
- R, GNU Octave and any other "numerical computing language": all of this is a waste of society's time as explained at: Section "Numerical computing language"
- Table of contents | 522, 3k, 58
- 2. List of programming languages | 0, 2k, 56
- 2.4. C# | 14
- 2.5. Haskell | 30
- 2.7.1. Client-side storage | 2, 6, 2
- 126.96.36.199. Clear client-side storage | 0, 4, 1
- 2.7.4. Node.js | 32, 2k, 24
- 188.8.131.52. Node.js library | 0, 2, 2
- 184.108.40.206. Node.js web framework | 0, 2k, 19
- 220.127.116.11.1. Express.js | 34, 163, 4
- 18.104.22.168.1.1. Realworld app written in Express | 18, 129, 3
- 22.214.171.124.2. FeathersJS | 351, 1k, 8
- 126.96.36.199.4. Nest.js | 24, 207, 2
- 188.8.131.52.4.1. lujakob/nestjs-realworld-example-app | 36, 183, 1
- 184.108.40.206.5. Sails.js | 94
- 220.127.116.11. NVM | 14
- 2.8. Python (programming language) | 53, 306, 11
- 2.9. Ruby (programming language) | 0, 358, 3