- https://github.com/n64decomp/sm64 for emulator, tested at 9214dddabcce4723d9b6cda2ebccbac209f6447d
- https://github.com/sm64-port/sm64-port Ubuntu native, tested at 6b47859f757a40096fedd6237f2bc3573d0bc2a4Full screen with F10.
- https://github.com/sm64pc/sm64ex: fork of sm64-port, untested by Ciro, but more new amazing usability features, notably:
Also reported to work on ARM: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/ityg6w/pinephone_playing_super_mario_64_30fps/They also ported to browser with Emscripten: https://github.com/sm64pc/sm64ex/wiki/Compiling-for-the-web
--skip-intro: skips the annoying pipe intro and the need to wait for Lakitu to bring Peaches message!
- in-game menu:
- hide HUD!
- no level selection yet, but a matter of time?
OMG, both of those just fucking work on Ubuntu 20.04 with README instructions, it is unbelievable, those people don't have lives. And it builds the ROM byte by byte equal.
Tested with the USA ROM at sha1sum 9bef1128717f958171a4afac3ed78ee2bb4e86ce (you need a ROM to extract assets, which the project automates), which is also documented in the project itself: https://github.com/sm64-port/sm64-port/blob/6b47859f757a40096fedd6237f2bc3573d0bc2a4/sm64.us.sha1. Disclaimer: Ciro Santilli owns a copy of Super Mario 64.
From this project it was also noticed that certain ROM releases were not compiled with optimizations enabled, presumably because as a release title the compiler had optimization bugs! https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-apparently-the-ntsc-build-of-mario-64-didnt-use-any-compiler-optimizations.166277/ But now they do have a working compiler, and by turning that switch FPS increases in certain levels!!!
It is good to know that this game will "never die".
Some quick stupid patches:
- jump really high:
Interesting entry points:
TODO: enable the level select debug feature! https://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_64_(Nintendo_64)/Debug_Content#Classic_Debug_Display They actually shipped quite a few debug features into the retail game, and they have been reversed too. I tried this but it didn't work (or I don't know how to enable the level select menu):
enhancements/folder contains a few sample patches.
Some tutorials of hacking it:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkb7Naczoww SM64 Decomp Tutorial 1: Setting Up and First Code Changes by Bitlytic (2021)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuIpqX4neWg Rovert Decomp Tech Demo by Rovert (2019) Metal cap makes Mario huge.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aG1Iyjo20w Is it Possible to Beat Super Mario 64 as Tiny Mario? (Mini Mario Challenge) coverts the obvious make Mario huge/tiny hack. Huge mario verion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR_gol6zlIo. There was a pre-decompilation ROM hack doing that trivial change already: Tiny Huge Mario 64. Sample tool-assisted speedrun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7BjzZ_Nkk0