Is the only atom that has a closed form solution, which allows for very good predictions, and gives awesome intuition about the orbitals in general.
It is arguably the most important solution of the Schrodinger equation.
In particular, it predicts:
The explicit solution can be written in terms of spherical harmonics.
- Atomic orbital
- Bessel function
- Hund's rules
- Madelung energy ordering rule
- Photon polarization
- Principal quantum number
- Quantization as an Eigenvalue Problem
- Quantum number
- Schrödinger equation
- Schrödinger equation solution for the hydrogen atom
- Schrödinger picture
- Solving the Schrodinger equation with the time-independent Schrödinger equation
- Why is the spin of the electron half?