The polarization state and how it can be decomposed into different modes can be well visualized with the Poincare sphere.
One key idea about photon polarization is that it carries angular momentum. Therefore, when an electron changes orbitals in the Schrodinger equation solution for the hydrogen atom, the angular momentum (as well as energy) change is carried out by the polarization of the photon!
- Photonics | 30, 415, 7
- Optics | 43, 458, 12
- Photon | 124, 2k, 35
- Elementary particle | 0, 2k, 43
- Subatomic particle | 0, 2k, 45
- Standard Model | 92, 3k, 51
- Particle physics | 140, 19k, 291
- Physics | 276, 25k, 429
- Natural science | 0, 30k, 686
- Science | 0, 36k, 821
- Ciro Santilli's Homepage | 238, 147k, 2k