- 2021-06-05 upgraded to Ubuntu 21.04 with a clean install from an ISO. SelectedAfter this, the GUI felt fast, who would have thought that erasing a bunch of stuff would make the system faster!
- "Minimal installation"
- "Erase disk and install Ubuntu". Notably, this erased the Microsoft Windows that came with the computer and was never used not even once
- "Erase disk ans use ZFS"
- Encrypt the new Ubuntu installation for security
lsblk -f:Then:contains: which gives an idea of how the above map to mountpoints.Had two GUI freezes since installation, a fixed images shows no matter what I do, possibly graphics only, but impossible to tell (next time I'll try SSH access). No Nvidia drivers installed yet.
2020-06-06: dropped some lemon juice on the bottom left of touchpad. Bottom left button not working anymore... I'm an idiot. There are many other alternatives, but very aggravating, I'll replace it for sure. Can't find the exact replacement part or any videos showing its replacement online easliy, dang. For the T430: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3lzV9uXRjU Asked at: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile-Workstations/P51-left-bottom-button-below-trackpad-mouse-left-click-stopped-working-possible-to-replace/m-p/5019903 Also I could not access it because you need to remove the HDD first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Klawxc7T_Y and I can't pull it out even with considerable force, unlike in the video... And OMG, those button caps are impossible to re-install once removed!!! Then when I put the whole thing back together, the upper buttons were not working anymore. FUUUUUUUUCK. When first opening I pulled on it without properly removing the cap and it came off, but it didn't look broken in any way and I put it back in. Keyboard works thank God, so right black connector is fine, left white one oppears to be the one for upper keys and trackpoint, both of which stopped working. The hardware manual confirms that they are both part of the same device, so basically a mouse :-) TODO can it be bought separately from te keyboard? Doesn't look like it, photo of keyboard part includes those buttons. The manual also confirms that the bottom buttons are one device with the trackpad "trackpad with buttons", thus forming the second entire mouse.
2019-04-17: popup asking about "ThinkPad P51 Management Engine Update" from from 182.29.3287 to 184.60.3561, said yes.
Ubuntu 17.10 setup after buying it:
- partition setup: https://askubuntu.com/questions/343268/how-to-use-manual-partitioning-during-installation/976430#976430
- for NVIDIA driver:
- for KVM, required by Android Emulator: enable virtualization extensions
- TODO fix the brightness keys:
Battery life shown by Ubuntu battery app after installation:
- before NVIDIA driver setup: 8h
- after: 6.5h